The history of Sultanbeyli dates back to ancient times. The region is located at the crossing points of the Silk Road between Izmit and Istanbul. Sultanbeyli, whose borders include the historical Aydos Castle and the Sultanbeyligi Plain, was in terms of military and civil transportation located on a focal point between the periods 11th century-13th century. Due to these features, the region where Sultanbeyli is located has maintained its strategic importance for many years in the ancient, medieval, and later periods. Sultanbeyli has legally announced a village in 1957, as a legal local administration within the borders of today’s Sultanbeyli region. An influx of internal migration and rapid construction process resulted in Sultanbeyli becoming a town district in 1987 and later on 3rd June 1992, Sultanbeyli became one of Istanbul’s districts.